Coin Wars is a simple tabletop game played with items you’ll probably have in your wallet/purse. It could be described as a minimalist tabletop miniatures game. The idea is to have a game that can be explained in under a minute, and will be fun to play for a half hour or so.
- Two players.
- One standard business card.
- A few coins of varying sizes.
- A flat open play area.
- Challenge someone to a game.
- Each player selects a few coins for their team. They should be chosen so that they are relatively easy to distinguish from your opponent’s. Recommended: two coins each.
- Place your coins on the designated play area (however you like).
- Put the business card and a coin to the side. The business card will be used for measurement and the coin will be used for luck shots.
- Select the starting player and begin!
- Alternate turns between players until you have a winner.
Each turn you can do two actions, a
- short and
action, each of which can be either a
- move or
A short action uses the short side of the business card for distance, while the long action uses the long side.
A move action allows you to move a single coin up to a short/long distance – place the business card next to the coin, and move the coin to the other side of the card matching the short/long distance.
A fire action allows you to take a 50% luck shot at an opponent coin within the short/long distance of one of your coins. On a successful shot (flip the set-aside coin) the opponent coin is destroyed and removed from play.
Goal: destroy all your opponent’s coins before he/she does the same to you!
Coin Wars was designed to fit on the back of our business cards:
We’d appreciate any and all feedback. Please email all feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.